Tuesday, August 25, 2015

And we're off and running..............
Rachel 5th, Brittany 6th, Seth 3rd and Laura (a.k.a. Mrs. V) 35th grade or something

Welcome school year 2015/2016.  I can't believe I am beginning my 15th year of teaching.  Where have the years gone.............
My first teaching job was right out of college when I thought I knew everything.  I was 23 and teaching high school band.  I was basically their same age.  I was terrible at marching band and that was the highlight of the program.  It was not the greatest start to my teaching career.  I loved the students and staff that I worked with, just maybe not the greatest match.  But, ending student teaching in December, this was one of no other jobs available mid-year.  
Next I moved on to a K-6 1/2 time music position.  When I was in college I swore I would never teach elementary music.  Now that I've been teaching this age for 13 years I'll admit that I was wrong just this once.  1/2 time teaching was not the job I thought I was destined to have, but then having 3 kids in 4 years it was ideal!!!!
Now I'm beginning my 7th year of teaching at West Marshall Elementary in little State Center, IA.  We've had a lot of changes in this time.  My first 2 years I was sharing the space with Title Math and I was also 80% time teacher and 20% time aide.  Learning 450 names that first year was one of the hardest parts.  Whew, I'm glad I only have to learn Kdg students now.
As a teacher with 14 years of experience, I sometimes think I know everything I need to know.  Then I do a serious hand-to-the-forehead thump and realize I'm not even close.  Our students are learning in new and unique forms every year.  We as educators have to constantly keep up with them.  I am always finding new ways to teach the same musical concepts which makes it more fun for me as well.  
If you were to walk into my music classroom on any given day this year you might see/hear some or all of the following:
Singing (obviously)
Dancing (as well as other big loco-motor moves)
Playing music games
Instruments
Discussing
Music Centers
Folk dancing
Parachutes
Snow-ball throwing (not until winter months of course)
Riding Noodle Horses
Hula Hoops
Mimio activities (Interactive whiteboard)

I'll stop there because I need to get my kids ready for bed.  My point is, in my class I have learned that kids don't learn the same so I can't teach one way and expect them to all learn the same concept. Sometimes my classroom looks/sounds very chaotic, and it is, but those are some of the most fun days in my class. The creativity is contagious.  I'm very grateful that I have the freedom to teach music in the capacity I do.  I help out in some of the core teachers' classroom and...........  Let's just say I'm in the position where I belong.  I could not do what they do every day.  I like that I only have to count to 4 and I'm going to try and keep it that way (lol, that's music teacher humor).

Here's to another great year for West Marshall. I am so honored and proud that I work in this field and for this district.  My goal this year is to use this blog to keep parents, families, friends and colleagues up-to-date on what is going on in the music world at West Marshall Elementary.  

Happy School Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment