Monday, May 11, 2015

Countdown



These last weeks are a hodgepodge of activities in music class. I ask each class to make a list of some activities they want to do before summer. 
One of the big ticket items is riding noodle horses. 


Another great idea is pantyhose dancing. This sounds ridiculous but they love it. I purchased damaged pantyhose through Hanes. You just fax them that you want a box of misfits and they are yours. Each end is open so they put one on a hand and one end on a foot.  

Today I played "Happy" by Pharrell. Periodically, I stop the music and just tell them to join with someone else. The group sizes keep growing. I don't tell them how to join, they have to figure out how to make it work.






It's kind of a crazy web of 1st graders, but they are burning off mega energy.








4 comments:

  1. When they "join with someone else"---1. do they hold someone else's hose end? 2. when it's time to join again, do they trade with someone else? Looks like a barrel of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. Both ends are open on the hose. When I stop the music I only tell them to join with a friend. Some figure it out quickly others make it very hard. The easiest would be to to trade a hand. When the music stops again I just tell them "your group of two needs to join with another group of two". I like to let them problem-solve on their own as much as possible. It's fun to watch the natural leaders in the classes help each other out. Those students can often be seen helping other groups outside of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another super fun idea! Can't wait to do these with our 4-H club in September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another super fun idea! Can't wait to do these with our 4-H club in September!

    ReplyDelete