Thursday, December 17, 2015

Way Behind #2

Now that I've caught up with Halloween, it's time to move on to November.
As long as I've taught elementary, I have always started Christmas concert songs on the first Monday in November.  It is just the right amount of time to prepare as our concerts are usually at the beginning of December.
Due to the fact that our elementary is on a 6-day cycle, I work very hard to make sure my classes are even in what they've done and when we transition to a new topic.  For example, on Friday Oct. 30 I was going to have one class of 2nd grade and the rest would fall in November.  That day they sang both Halloween songs and listened to their Christmas concert songs on the same day.  It was a very odd school day.  The only thing I don't like about this setup is that I have no time to do any Thanksgiving-related music or activities.
November seems to be all concert prep.  At the beginning it's mostly memorizing and how to pronounce the Latin words or assigning speaking parts.  As the month continues we begin to work on the details, adding movements, small group singers etc.  The month of November FLIES!!!!
Throw in me gone a day to a music conference, Thanksgiving, and our concert is here.
Crazy!

So back to the conference........

One of my favorite days in November is IMEA (Iowa Music Educators' Association).  It is my favorite professional day ever!  The majority of music teachers across the state of Iowa all convene at ISU campus in Ames and they have amazing speakers, workshops, and vendors.  It's Music Nerds Unite day!  It is an amazing conference and so well-organized.  I always come home with new ideas, refreshed attitude and a renewed passion for my job.  
This year I went to a session presented by a lady whom I use her products.  Nobody but music teachers know who this lady is, but I was in awe.
Now, during these sessions, we are participating, singing, playing, dancing, you name it.  Most of the sessions are like this.  Very little sit-n-get, but doing what we're talking about.
Another session I went to was about how to use tennis balls and parachutes in the music room.  I already use a parachute often, but this was a fun, new way I hadn't thought of.  Very interesting speakers and sessions.
Dr. Susan Brumfield, "First We Sing" session.  Pretty much the only sitting I did as she was introducing herself.

Dan Fee "Listening Fun with scarves and Tennis Balls".  We were up doing a scarf routine.

Dan Fee again "Listening Fun with Paper Plates and Parachutes".  Something as simple as using paper plates could make a fun musical routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment