Friday, May 6, 2016

Kody

If I could describe Kody with one word, it would be "joy". 
Kody joined our district a few weeks ago.  He has some special needs so his schedule looks different than most 5th graders.
I get to start 3 of my 6-day cycles with Kody in some one-on-one music time.  When I first received the "assignment" I'll admit I was a little nervous.  I haven't done anything like this, I hadn't even gotten to meet him yet.
The first day he walked in, he immediately walked to some instruments and started playing.  I threw on some "rock out" music, as he calls it, and we beat on drums, played xylophones and just had a blast.
After that first half hour I decided 1 day a cycle would not be enough.  I now get to start 3 of my mornings with him.  He is one of the best ways to start my day.
Yesterday morning we got out the guitar and we were just jammin'.  He then started singing me a song.  I told him he should sing a song to Ms. K who is his aide.  He started singing and I realized how cool it was and had to record it.  The following is his song "Ms. K is awesome".
I am a music teacher with no claim to any music therapy training.  This is just a time for Kody and I to have fun singing, and playing music.  If anything, he is therapy to me.

"Joy".

No comments:

Post a Comment